Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Monday 2 November 2009

Tram Or - Horse and Carriage?


Your carriage awaits you Madam
Did you know that any horse-drawn vehicle is permitted to enter the city centre? It’s an old law, but it still holds today. Designated park and stop areas for horse-drawn vehicles are marked along Swanston Street. See Map.

Horse-drawn carriages can show you around Melbourne - imagine relaxing back and, to the gentle sound of the clip-clopping of horses hooves, being taken around the streets of Melbourne, around the Yarra, over Princes Bridge, in the comfort and style of a bygone era.

You might decide on a Royal Blue Landau Carriage, drawn by two beautiful white or black Percheron Horses - you could even have fully uniformed coachmen dressed in red tails and a top hat! Now that is guaranteed to impress! So catch a ride from Swanston Street and let your trusty steed take you on a nostalgic journey as you traverse the wonders and marvels of Melbourne.

11 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

I'd love to take a carriage ride - maybe even throw candy to the kids on the sidewalk! Not great if one is in a hurry!

Stefan Jansson said...

Seems like a good way to see the city, but then I remember that Seinfeld episode...

Anonymous said...

I think I would probably go by tram, but I suppose the horses in city would be well trained and kept on smooth surfaces. My family had quite the harrowing experience in a horse drawn wagon this summer. I thought we all would bounce out of there. I was very happy to get my two feet back on the ground again. :)

Julie said...

Astounding that the old law is still on the books. The carriage in your photo looks beautiful - but, then again, so does the tram. Oh how I wish we still had trams in Sydney.

Lowell said...

That's wonderful. These carriages are a great way to see an area (even take photographs!).

Beautiful photo of a beautiful carriage!

Leeds in Yorkshire daily photo - Paul said...

No trams here in Leeds, although there is talk of bringing them back.
This is the nearest we get to a horse and carriage service. Leeds horse and carriage

Anonymous said...

i'm a romantic, i like so much these things, unfortunately my city is not so much into tradition.

i want to ride in it!!

magiceye said...

that is so wonderful!!!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Leif - But no smelly petrol fumes!

Steffe - Have never watched Seinfeld. Our horses are very well behaved.

Just Kim - The horses are very well trined indeed and are used to city traffic. As are the police horses. I don't think anyone's ever been bitten by one.:-)

Julie - We have mounted police in the city. You can see bridal parties in them in our suburb.

Jacob - I agree - something long remembered as a special day.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Paul - They look lovely with their plumes and quite expensive too.

Sonia - If you should ever go to Australia for a holiday, you can ride in one when you visit Melbourne.

Maagiceye - They are something different aren't they?

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.