Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Melbourne's Mosaic Mural

All the colours of the rainbow

This magnificant work of art is at Flinders Street Station, when you come out the Swanston Street exit just before Princes Bridge.

It was created by Mirka Mora, a true bohemian who was born in Paris in 1928 and migrated with her husband Georges to Australia in 1951.

Mirka has had around thirty-five solo exhibitions since 1956, including a retrospective exhibition of fifty years of her work at Heide Museum of Modern Art in 1999-2000. She was made Officier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French government in 2002.

A truly beautiful picture, I never grow tired of looking at it. More information about Mirka here and here.

10 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Fancy, decorative and posh! Tile on!

Jim said...

Quite intricate.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Hilda said...

It's beautiful! The detailed elements are amazing and definitely worth looking at more closely.

Cezar and Léia said...

This is a happy "mosaic"! I loved these colours!
Léia

B SQUARED said...

So much work and effort must have gone into this.

Rob Siemann said...

It is truly magnificent!

Davine said...

That is weird how come I don't ever remember seeing this mural. I am going to have to go and check it out - thanks.

Unknown said...

Magnificent indeed!

Davine said...

Went into town last night and saw the mural. That is weird I would have walked past it thousands of time and never noticed it - weird hey.

Elaine Yim said...

These designs look like our batik.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.