Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Tuesday 17 November 2009

Tattooed

Nice tatts!
While having a Sunday morning coffee, I noticed this gentleman nearby - it was the tatts that did it - I just had to get a photo. I asked him first could I take his photo to which he responded, "Why? Are you a writer do you want to use my mug ugly face in your book?" I told him I wasn't a writer but I did like tattoos and his were wonderful. I didn't quite have enough courage to ask him to pose again and for all his ferocious look, he was actually very nice and we chatted about tattoos and he informed me some people go way overboard and have too many. He mentioned a fellow known as the "Tiger" man who had his face done in tiger stripes.

Did you know that hundreds of years ago primitive people used tattooing as a way of repelling demons and bad spirits and to prevent them from entering the body?

The word "tattoo" comes from the Tahitian word "tatau". According to Māori mythology, tattooing, or Ta Moko commenced with a love affair between a young man by the name of Mataora (which means "Face of Vitality") and a young princess of the underworld by the name of Niwareka.
Māori tattoos are among the most distinctive tattoos in the world and have their own identity, and is a sacred art.

Above is a photo (not mine) from some of the entries in the International Tattoo Convention (1996).

10 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

It sounds like his bark was worse than his bite! Uff da! Tatts are forever ...

B SQUARED said...

They are an acquired taste. One thing is for sure, everyone has an opinion about them.

~Cheryl said...

I have to wonder if that gal in the background is his wife. She looks as though she's waiting....waiting.... ! :)

AB said...

An interestig character. I am gald you had the courage to go up and take a picture.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Leif - He's one "character" I wouldn't wish to get on the wrong side of. But for all that he really was a sweetie!

B Squared - Acquired taste is uite right - young lads should never get their girlfriend's name tattooed on their arms, leads to big trouble. Girlfriends come and go...

Cheryl - Now that yo umention it, she does look like she's waiting.

AB - I thought it wise to ask this chap first.:-)

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

A very "colorful" character. Nice people-photo.

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

He's got wonderfully colorful tattoos on his body. I wouldn't wanna mess with him. (;

Buenos Aires Photo

VP said...

Not a fan of these things, but the guy is spectacular in many ways!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Three Rivers - His tatts were quite colourful - all that ink!

Buenos Aires Photoblog - I agree, he'd make a good friend bu a bad enemy.:-)

Vogon Poet - A nice one on the upper arm can look rather nice, but sometimes less is more.

Bergson said...

I do not like tattoos. But I did not say he is too muscular

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.