Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Tattersalls Lane - East meets West


Where East meets West
For the uninitiated, strolling down Lt. Bourke Street this could be overlooked - but, think again and venture along this iconic bastion of Melbourne cool.

From the shabby entrance you'll find some of the best (and cheapest) dining on offer. Set in the heart of Chinatown, this unassuming laneway plays host to places like Gaylord's Indian restaurant. With its bright red entrance, not to mention its name it sure is a talking point. Or, feel like Chinese? Then head across to the Shanghai Dumpling House - one of the busiest and best on offer. (I can personally attest to the quality of their dumplings). Or the Shanghai Noodle House, who always seems to play second fiddle.

Then there's Section 8 - Melbourne funky where the artwork is superb and the atmosphere rocks. Built out of a carpark with steel mesh walls, boxed containers for seating and the most superb graffiti this side of the Black Stump. As I said in an earlier post - the coolest joint in town!

Continue past Stevenson Lane - waste disposal with street art, artistic scribble and all things unwanted and you're soon in Lonsdale Street - another world away from where you started out - with flash shops, wide streets and brilliant sunlight - all the things which make Melbourne Marvelous!

7 comments:

Davine said...

Hi - Oh I agree with you - doesn't Melbourne have the best lanes. I get great joy out of going on a lane adventure in my own home town. Theres always something new to see.

Unknown said...

I know this place!

I can almost hear the noise from the flags hitting the flag poles from the nearby Bourke St!

brattcat said...

The best surprises are often found in the most unlikely places. I like the idea of making my way down the lane, stopping in one eatery, then another, then another, sampling bits of the cuisine as I go.

Joe Todd said...

Thanks for the post Late getting around am a little under the weather Maybe I need to change lanes LOL

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Looks a bit of an eerie passageway from here.

PS Re your comment about Hyde North station - How indeed? Well you simply wouldn't - many of these smaller stations are not accessible for the disabled at all.

VP said...

Unassuming but interesting, appearance could be deceiving. Beautiful image in almost monochromatic dark red!

Stefan Jansson said...

A great shot, and some useful facts if I ever make it to Melbourne.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.