Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Wednesday 4 November 2009

The Square

The Square Frame
Walking along the banks of the Yarra after a Derby Day barbie, someone asked "What's that square thing?" What square thing we wanted to know. We stood looking at the "square" on top of the Mercer building, all of us wondering what it was for.

Suggestions included to look through when you stand on the roof. Another was maybe the building hadn't been completed yet. For my money, I'd say it's to attract attention and get people asking "What's that square thing?"

6 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Maybe they could hang an artsy banner in the SQUARE and change it out every once in a while?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is merely part of their logo. I did a search and they have a slogan, "Outside the Square".

I have seen several buildings that look unfinished, but that ends up being the architect's plan.

VP said...

Now we are all curious about it, please try to investigate and then post your finding...

Buck said...

Great photo. Love how you think!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Leif - Good idea. There is artwork in the building - why not have some advertising outside?

Just Kim - Did some checking. Outside the square is a survey about retirement and money matters.:-)

Vogon Poet - Am working on it as we speak. Will post if, and when, I have an answer.

Buck - You coudld be right. I have a funny feeling the "square" is just for architectural design purposes.

Unknown said...

I like the square! Mercer's subtle way of advertising, it's impossible not to read the sign! :-)

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.