Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Thursday 5 November 2009

Eel Trap

A Red Spider?
Fiona Clarke and Ken McKean’s Eel Trap is based on the design of a
traditional Indigenous eel trap. The plate-steel sculpture is painted red and
engraved with Indigenous designs.

A local food source, eels were once
trapped close to this site, near the shallow waterfalls that used to exist
downstream, separating the freshwater of the river from the salty water of
the bay. Eel Trap was commissioned by the City of Melbourne in 2003.

5 comments:

AB said...

Sounds like the eels have gone. Well, at least, you are left with a nice photogenic eel trap.

Cezar and Léia said...

It's very interesting. I will read more about this fabulous artist Fiona, thanks for all information.
Despite I have a huge fear about spiders, this one is something that I liked a lot! :)
Cool!
Léia

Julie said...

Ah, the photographic potential of this sculpture is immense given the shadow it would cast at varying times of the day.

Good find, BFG.

Bergson said...

i love spider like this

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

AB - They must have been very large eels.:-)

Cezar and Léia - I'll let you in on a little secret, true we do have snakes, spiders etc, but the stories you hear are just to scare the tourists! lol

Julie - I went back and checked the other phots and I see what you mean.

Bergson - I quite like this one too, friendly and no biting!

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.