Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Friday 4 September 2009

Queen Victoria Market


The Queen Victoria Market is not just any old market, it is a shopping mecca, the Queen of Australian markets, and an institution for locals and tourists alike. Opening on March 20th 1878, this grand old lady has stood the test of time and many a bargain has been found. There are almost 1,000 traders selling their wares - the freshest of produce - ripe tomatoes. juicy oranges, leeks, capsicums, luscious strawberries, to snap peas and Asian vegies, you can buy just about anything here.

Wander through the meat market - lamb, veal, pork, or fancy some fish? Then head to the fish market where only the freshest fish is sold.

Cheese, hams, proscuitto, sliced meats, salamis, to exotic herbs and spices - you can get it all at the Vic market. Spread over 7 hectares, the Vic market is the largest market in the Southern hemisphere. Clothing, footwear, wine tasting on Sundays - the Vic market has it all. Have lunch, grab a coffee, enjoy a nice hot cup of tea and take the weight off your feet - so come on down and spend a day at the market.

You will find more information on the side panel under "Melbourne Information."

3 comments:

Laurent said...

You make me want to visit ! Too bad Australia is so far from Paris

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Hi Laurent,

Yes it is a long way, 22.5 hours! Imagine how long it would have taken before "flying machines" were invented.
Thanks for visiting m,y blog and commenting.
Cheers,
BlossomFlowerGirl.

Julie said...

Yes, yes: I knew Melbournians! Not sure why I said Melbournites. Just knew that it was not Melbourner!!

I wonder how come people from Newcastle are known as Novocastrians?

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.