Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Sunday 11 October 2009

William Barak Bridge

The William Barak Bridge is named after William Barak who was a member of the Wurundjeri people. He was a diplomat, negotiator and artist who was a powerful leader and advocate for his people.
The bridge is up to 9 metres wide and 525 metres long and gives lift access to the ground level precinct and the Number 70 tram - and the opportunity to enjoy commanding views of the City; a land bridge which joins Melbourne's CBD with the famous MCG and other nearby sporting venues.


AS you walk along the bridge, you enter a sonic corridor of voice recordings of people from the 53 Commonwealth nations represented in Australia. Central to the work are the voices of the area’s original custodians, the Wurundjeri people. Each person sings a traditional song from his/her background with the voices interwoven to create a continually shifting soundscape. Commissioned for the 2006 Commonwealth Games, it’s an evocative tribute to diversity.The installation includes applied paintwork, 60 grilles, 56 loudspeakers, 4 sensors and 24 channels. Below are close-ups of the artwork from which they can be heard.




2 comments:

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

I am the firts...Dear, I am learning so much about Melbourne. Never have been there.
And I wish to visit a day.
great shot and histories.
have a n9cie sunday and thanks so much for your comment
graceolsson.com/blog

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Thanks Grace for your kind comments. I hope you get to visit Melbourne one day - there are many things to see and do.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.