Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Friday 12 March 2010

Painted Poles

Painted Poles

Another display of Melbourne's beautiful public art.
Standing outside the State Library of Victoria in Swanston Street, these elaborately painted metal poles are the work of Jennifer McCarthy and were painted in 1992. Her work involves three poles painted in a colourful, highly decorative style. This work is not considered permanent. The City of Melbourne commissioned this work as part of the Swanston Street Walk Public Art Project.


You can see one of Melbourne's trams in the background. A city with trees in almost every street.

Today's Quote: I'm painting an idea not an ideal. Basically I'm trying to paint a structured painting full of controlled, and therefore potent, emotion - Euan Uglow

4 comments:

brattcat said...

the emotion you capture here is the joy that comes from creative expression. these poles bring color and energy to the street and ask us to stop a moment and look at our surroundings. well done, bfg. hope you're having a terrific holiday.

Lois said...

She really did a fantastic job painting these poles! They are beautiful.

Lowell said...

I like! A lot! Sure does brighten up the city!

Jim said...

Really beautifully done.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.