Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Monday 13 July 2009

Pick-Up Sticks - Red Centre



Located in Federation Square, this collection of "sticks" is one of the permanent art sculptures and provides a brilliant hue near Federation Wharf.


The title of this public artwork is Red Centre, nicknamed Gay Hay. It was created by Konstantin Dimopoulos in 2006. Fire is an essential part of the Australian landscape. It both destroys and regenerates.
The flame also provides warmth and a place for communities to gather. A meeting place.

A bright red 7m x 2.5m x 2.3m sculpture made from resin, steel mesh and concrete. The artist focuses great detail to colour, line and movement. At night the Red Centre lights up.

6 comments:

Denton said...

Hi BlossomFlowerGirl,

Thanks for participating in the Daily Photo Map. A thumbnail of your latest photo now appears on the map.

Julie said...

Melbourne is "different" isn't it?

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Hi Denton,
Appreciate you getting back to me. Thanks for the update, but..er when I looked at the Daily Photo Map, I couldn't see any thumbnail of my photo.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Hi Julie,

Yes, Melbourne is different to Sydney. But each city has its own charms. Like the Chess game in Hyde Park. It's a great idea.

Annie said...

Very interesting...I saw some things like this on a photo on the Sunshine Coast Daily blog a while ago. Very striking!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

I think it's the colour that make it so striking - they're a brilliant red. And they do stand out among all the concrete.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.