Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Friday 10 July 2009

The Exford Hotel

On the corner of Russell Street and Little Bourke Street Melbourne stands the Exford Hotel which was built in 1914 to replace an earlier hotel known as the Sportsman's Arms and built in 1854. This three story brick hotel stands in the midst of "Chinatown" and has the traditional splay-corner plan and is a perfect example of Edwardian architecture.



















You won't find fancy fittings, in fact the floorboards are bare. Neither can you get a yuppie latte or chai tea - but what you will find is a great atmosphere where the emphasis is on the casual and warm where get togethers and serious drinking is done. Popular with the suited business man as well as the man on the street, the Exford serves as a reminder of what a true pub is all about.

And should you go there on a Friday after work, the staff put on a free BBQ in the upstairs courtyard. Accommodation is also available and I can testify to the comfort of their beds.


No comments:

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.