Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Friday 16 October 2009

Floral Friday - Barringtonia Calyptrata


This lovely flower known as the Mango pine and Cassowary pine is a species of mangrove, and can be found in Australia and New Guinea. It also has another interesting name too - The Corned-beef Wood Tree, due to the scent of its wood. Below is a photo of the buds.


An interesting little fact
This flower also appeared on a postage stamp.
These photos were taken when I was up in Cooktown in FNQ up on the Cape York Peninsula.


3 comments:

Day4plus said...

Wowee!! That is an interesting plant. Beautiful too. MB

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Thanks Day4plus. To the best of my knowledge, it only grows in the tropical areas - I haven't seen them elsewhere.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous blossom!

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.