Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Saturday 31 October 2009

Derby Day Damsels


These lovely ladies are dressed in their finery for the Victorian Derby.



Derby Day in Melbourne is the Saturday before Melbourne Cup, and is run at Flemington. For those going to the races it is a day for dressing up, fascinators and a rollicking good time.



9 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Delightful, darling, delicate, "Derby Day Damsels!" Divine!

AB said...

Thanks to this entry I have just learnt what a fascinator is. And very fine the damsels look with them.

Rob Siemann said...

Nice pics, oh so elegant!

VP said...

I really like all these ladies dressed up for the occasion. Very nice post!

Lowell said...

Excellent examples of feminine pulchritude - and I like the hats, too!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Leif - You do have a way with words!

AB - Do ladies in your country wear fascinators? Tomorrow (Melbourne Cup Day) fascinators are replaced with very large, feathered, be-ribboned hats.

Rob and Mandy - If only we all had figures like this.

Vogon Poet - All the ladies look very charming in their silks and satins.

Jacob - They are all so elegeant - and slim.

Linda said...

oh wow! the purple couple! I remember them -i was at flinders street station on saturday arvo and I saw the young purple couple waiting near the ticketing area... WOW I saw a few photogrpahers too... Maybe I would have bumped into you whilst waiting for a ticket in the crowd... gosh it was hot that day

wow! COOL PICS!

Stefan Jansson said...

My kind of post. Great to see a few portrait, and good ones they are.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Napolean - It is small world isn't it? I was at the ticket window as well looking at the ladies in their lovely outfits. And who know - we may have nodded to each other in passing.

Steffe - It helps when the people are as pretty as these ones are.

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.