Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Monday 9 August 2010

Spend a Penny?

 
Tinkle Town
On the corner of Collins and Swanston Streets, these underground toilets are on the southern side of the Melbourne Town Hall. The female loos were installed in 1914, but the chaps had to wait a bit longer - male loos were installed in 1960. They are open 24 hours and an attendant is present from 7am - 7pm. Baby change facilities are available during these hours.

Note the impressive wrought iron gates and art deco lighting.

Did you know the City of Melbourne, which manages 54 public toilets, promises no person will have to walk more than 250 metres to find a "throne room" in the CBD? This photo was taken in Collins Street facing east.



Today's Quote: Psychiatry's chief contribution to philosophy is the discovery that the toilet is the seat of the soul ~ Alexander Chase

13 comments:

Jim said...

I really like these old fashioned loos with all that metalwork on teh entrances and those lamps are superb. Great shot.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Public toilets just don't seem to exist anymore around here. You have to plan to nip into a department store, gas station, or coffee shop to find relief.

Thanks for your kind comments.

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Looks inviting indeed. I like the metalwork very much.

Boom Nisanart said...

Love your posted !

Everyday Melbourne
Everyday Shot
N...is..an..ART
Everyday Cat Visitor

Cezar and Léia said...

I think it's wonderful, I need to confess sometimes when I'm doing tourism, to find a decent toilet is a nightmare! LOL
*** I love the angle in this picture, well done!
Léia

brattcat said...

Even for a guy that's a long time to hold it in. ( :
Excellent image.

B SQUARED said...

What a great idea. A big help when there's a long line at the pub.

Anonymous said...

No person will have to walk more than 250 metres to find a "throne room" in the CBD?...
Wow, that's service ;-)

Your blog makes great PR for Melbourne!

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

very nice

Unknown said...

Interesting. I've notice these around the city but never dared visit them... Maybe I should. Good info - thanks for sharing.

Kirigalpoththa said...

1914 - 1960 must have been a tough time for males ;)

arabesque said...

hi bfg!
interesting find. an underground loo?! ^0^ curious what it looks like, i mean if it's art deco inspired also. ^0^

AB said...

In more elegant times, that would be "Ladies" and "Gentlemen"

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.