Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Thursday 27 August 2009

All The Rivers Run

The Gordon River, Strahan

Two wild rivers - the Collingwood and the Franklin - hurtle through mountainous rainforest wilderness and merge as the Gordon River, which flows into the vast Macquarie Harbour on the west coast.

In the late 1970's/early 80's the Hydro-Electric Commission (HEC) wanted to dam the Gordon River which would have destroyed 35% of the remaining South West wilderness and led to one of the biggest environmental controversies waged in Australia. A campaign by the Tasmanian Wilderness Society (TWS) and other conservation groups brought it to world wide attention.

You can read about it here.

No comments:

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.