Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Sunday 5 May 2013

The Spires

 
Above: The spires of St. Patrick's Cathedral

St Patrick’s is one of the worlds most elegant and inspiring neo-gothic Cathedrals. This bluestone/sandstone gothic revival cathedral was designed by William Wardell. It was built in stages from 1858 to 1940, when the spires were added. Saint Pat's as it is fondly called, was accorded the title "Minor Basilica" in 1973 and is on the corner of Gisborne Street and Cathedral Place, East Melbourne.


Today's quote: I never weary of great churches. It is my favorite kind of mountain scenery. Mankind was never so happily inspired as when it made a cathedral ~ Robert Louis Stevenson.

12 comments:

Unknown said...


What a beautiful cathedral, thank you for allowing us to discover Melbourne. I have never been there :(

Our weekly linky party is on at:

http://www.pret-a-vivre.com/2013/05/ready-to-waltz-its-party-time.html

We hope you can come and join us :)

BiTi

Nonnie said...

such a wonderful sight! I really like R.L. Stevenson's quote! thank you for visiting me. :)

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I checked a couple of you other blogs...very interesting.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a beautiful old church

Leovi said...

I love the framing and light! Genial!

Birdman said...

LOVE that triple-spire look.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis», always fascinated with church architecture, would love to see Saint Patrick's!

Also, «Louis» thanks you for your visit to San Francisco Bay Daily Photo!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The church looks very stately raising above the trees like that.

Cezar and Léia said...

I love the Cathedral architecture and your picture is splendid!
Léia

Unknown said...

Not only the spires are gorgeous but also the composition is brilliant!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the angle you chose to take this photo from. How amazing that the church was built in stages over 80 years! Nowadays we seem to prefer finishing projects quickly even if we don't have the money to pay for them.

magiceye said...

Love this capture!

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.