Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Saturday 26 March 2011

Children of Laos, Burma & Thailand

Some have asked me to post some photos of my recent trip to SEA, so I give you today a photo of an Akha family and a video of some of the children I met, which I've set to a famous Chinese song called "Liang Zhu". Seeing temples and other attractions are nice, but I loved seeing the children and "talking" with them. They are so open and friendly although many are very shy. I just squatted down and spent time with them. It was heart-warming seeing their little faces light up when they smiled

 
Above: Akha Mother & Baby
The Akha are a hill tribe people known for their beautiful handcraft and artistry. You can read more about these people here.


The children of Laos, Thailand and Burma (Myanmar)



Some of the children I met live in cities like Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang, but most of these children live in villages. Some villages are very poor and have little in the way of modern conveniences, yet they have a closeness with each other that you can feel when on your first encounter. Temples and "attractions" are nice, but the time I spent with these children means more to me and it is this memory that I hold dear.

Today's quote: Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man ~ Rabindranath Tagore

9 comments:

diane b said...

Lovely people studies. I am hopeless at people shots, I must practice. I love their traditional clothes.
Show us more of your trip to SEA.

Dianne said...

Happy faces - smiling eyes!

brattcat said...

such beauty and grace captured in these portraits of children.

brattcat said...

re you question: the zig-zags are tire treads.

Leif Hagen said...

Those are both beauties! I love their beaded headpieces! Lovely portrait and a great memory for you, BFG!

Leif Hagen said...

Those are both beauties! I love their beaded headpieces! Lovely portrait and a great memory for you, BFG!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic photo video! Thank you for sharing it :-)

Reader Wil said...

What a lovely post! The children are adorable. Have a great new week!

Lowell said...

Children can be a delight...and while they also can be rascals, they do have a certain innocence...or as some famous songsters once sang, "Hate has to be very carefully taught."

Lovely photos!

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.