Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Thursday 7 February 2013

Luna Park

 
Above: The Entrance
Luna Park is one of the places children always wanted to go. It is an amusement park - the first built in Australia and opened to the public on 13 December 1912. There were rides, fun and hot chips and cream waffles. The biggest (and scariest) ride when I was a child was the Big Dipper - a train ride with ups and downs in a hilly, tortuous heart-stopping ride of a lifetime. You'd scream with terror as the train car rested ever so slightly at the top of a "hill" before it went crashing down at furious speed to the bottom. Then it started all over again. Sadly, the Big Dipper was demolished in 1989 in anticipation of a new large roller coaster which never eventuated.
Inside this was the Scenic Railway, similar to its big brother (the Big Dipper) but it wasn't as scary as the ups and downs were gentler. My mum would only go on this, but dad took me on the big one.

The Giggle Palace was another favourite which unfortunately was destroyed in a fire in 1982. I always loved going to Luna Park and enjoyed the River Caves, the Ghost Train, and the Rotor.

 

Today's quote: Life is like a roller coaster, it has its ups and downs...

No comments:

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.