Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Queen Victoria Gardens' Floral Clock

Floral Time-Keeper
Opposite the Victorian Arts Centre and National Gallery of Victoria are the Queen Victoria Gardens - Melbourne's memorial to Queen Victoria.

This huge floral clock which is opposite the National Gallery of Victoria, has over 7,000 flowering and bedding plants which are changed twice yearly. The clock was donated in 1966 to the City of Melbourne by a group of Swiss watchmakers. Behind the clock stands a bronze equestrian statue, a memorial to King Edward VII - Queen Victoria's successor. The statue, by Melbourne born sculptor Bertram Mackennal, was unveiled on July 21, 1920.


Today's Quote: Do not squander time for that is the stuff life is made of ~ Benjamin Franklin

10 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Stunning picture, this Garden is adorable, with lovely flowers inside the circle and that statue is also beautiful!
Léia

Gerald (SK14) said...

Floral clocks are great ideas.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm impressed! The clock is magnificent.

Dianne said...

I've always loved floral clocks and this one looks like it's predominately pansies - what a lovely background!
~Dianne~

Lowell said...

This is one of the nicest examples of a floral clock that I've seen. Interestingly, I'd never even heard of them until I saw one on a photo blog...there are probably some in this country, but I have no knowledge of them...

Love the Franklin quote, too!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

we have one on Auckland, but vandals keep breaking the hands, so it is not longer a clock.

Do you like your new Government?

Davine said...

Thanks for the memories. It has been years since I have stood next to this floral clock.

LDP - Paul said...

Have to agree with Gerald, a floral clock is a great idea. We have a large statue of Victoria, but these days it has been rather shunted to somewhere less prominent than earlier. We also have several round floral displays with writing in the flowers, many of the are adverts!!
Oddly I cannot recall putting any of them on my Leeds daily photo Paul

B SQUARED said...

I think the Queen would be proud.

arabesque said...

that is beautiful! ^-^

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.