Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.




Waltzing Australia

Sunday 4 April 2010

Easter 2010

Wishing everyone a blessed Easter and may you find new meaning and joy.

He is risen Allelujah

Now let the heavens be joyful,
Let earth her song begin:
Let the round world keep triumph,
And all that is therein;
Invisible and visible,
Their notes let all things blend,
For Christ the Lord is risen
Our joy that hath no end.

Saint John of Damascus


Hot Crossed Buns
Many people around the world eat hot crossed buns on Good Friday. The buns represent the Last Supper which Jesus shared with His Apostles on Maundy Thursday.

Hot crossed buns,
Hot crossed buns,
One a penny,
Two a penny,
Hot crossed buns.
If you have no daughters
Give them to your sons,
One a penny
Two a penny
Hot crossed buns.




Easter eggs
Why do we give egg(s) at Easter? In pre-Christian times the egg was a symbol of life, rebirth and renewal. In Europe there was a goddess called Eostre and from this word comes Ostara and Easter. She was the goddess of fertility hence the connection with eggs and rabbits. After the birth, death and resurrection of Christ, the early Christians adopted some of the pagan symbols and rituals and used them as Christian symbols.



Today's Quote: All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt - Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts (by Charles M. Schulz)

8 comments:

Leif Hagen said...

Happy Easter to you and yours, BFG!
We're hoping to color eggs today with the kids!

Kate said...

Photos are appropriate to the season...good variety. Happy Easter to you and your family and friends!

cieldequimper said...

Happy Easter! I could kill for some hot cross buns NOW! Can't find them in Paris anymore since Marks and Spencer has closed. I need to learn to bake them. Have a wonderful day!

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» wishes you a blessed Easter!

diane b said...

Lovely easter post and i'm with Lucy Van Pelt

Carolina said...

Maravillosa y gloriosa imagen. Felices Pascuas!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Thanks for your Christian message, when I did mine, I was worry, if I was too bold. But I did mine anyway, and left the worrying to God.

Rob Siemann said...

Happy Easter!

Melbourne Daily Photo

Hello, I created this blog because Melbourne is my city and I want people to see what a beautiful place it is. So come with me on a journey of discovery as we traverse the dining precincts, the culture, the laneways and hidden gems that make Melbourne marvellous.